The pairing between cigar and tequila
The paring between cigar and spirits is considered a real ritual now famous all over the world. Cuba, through the traditional “Sobremesa”, inspired and spread this type of matching. Sobremesa is a centuries-old custom of the Cuban population that provides relaxation after a heavy meal, smoking a cigar in combination with spirits or local liqueurs.
Before being able to deal with the topic of pairing between cigar and tequila, the topic on spirits will be introduced.
Definition and distillation techniques
A distillate, or spirit, is an alcoholic product derived from the distillation of a fermented sugar liquid that can be of vitivinicultural, cerelealicol, fruit and vegetable origin.
The distillation technique exploits the physical phenomenon whereby, thanks to the heat, any volatile substance can pass from the liquid to the gaseous state, and then return to liquid if it is cooled. This process takes place through the still, a copper device that allows to separate volatile substances based on their boiling point.
There are two distillation techniques:
Discontinuous Distillation (Post-Still): It can perform only one distillation at a time.
Continuous Distillation: Distillation takes place continuously and automatically 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The quality of the distillate is lower than with discontinuous distillation.
The Tequila is the spirit produced in the Caribbean obtained from the distillation of fermented must of Blue Agave protected by a Declaration for the Protection of the Appellation of Origin Tequila (DOT).
The classification of Tequila
Blanco (Silver): Maturation of 60 days in steel.
Joven / Oro (Gold): Maturation in wood not declared.
Reposado (Aged): Maturation from a minimum of 3 months to 1 year in wood.
Añejo (Extra Aged): Maturation of 1 year in wood.
Extra Añejo: Maturation of 3 yers in wood.
Additional mentions on the label
The low quality tequilas are produced with partially with the juice of the blue agave must (51%) allowing the addition of 49% of sugars of different origins. Bottling can take place outside of Mexico.
100% Agave: Indicates that 100% of the sugars used in the must to be fermented come from blue Agave, guaranteeing a quality product.
The pairing between cigar and tequila in detail
The high alcohol content in tequila is a real double-edged sword when paired with a cigar: The softness given by alcohol greatly amplifies the intensity of the cigar when smoking, however if the alcohol in the distillate is present in a excessive, its pungency will tend to completely overpower the cigar.
Pairing according to structure and persistence
As with other drinks, the pairing according for structure and persistence also applies to spirits. Here are some rules:
– Cigars with a light body and not very persistent on the palate should be combined with poorly structured and persistent tequilas, which have passed a short to medium maturation period in wood.
– Medium-bodied and persistent cigars on the palate should be combined with medium-structured and persistent tequilas, which have passed a medium-long period of aging in wood.
– Full-bodied cigars, structured with a long persistence on the palate should be combined with full-bodied tequilas, structured, with a long persistence, which have passed a long period of aging in wood.
What to avoid
There are small things that should be avoided during the pairing between the cigar and the spirits.
– The excessive pungency present in clear spirits tends to overpower the cigar during the pairing. On the contrary, clear spirits with too neutral hints would be dominated by the cigar.
– It is advisable to avoid pairing cigars with hints of roasting with spirit with smoked or peat hints. The bitter aftertaste of both products would cause an unpleasant sensation in the mouth.
In this article we have introduced the topic of pairing between cigar and tequila. After having clarified the definition of distillate and having dealt with the various types of distillation, we went into the pairing between cigar and tequila, enhancing the marriage through criteria of concordance on structure and persistence, finally giving some advice on what would be best avoided in order not to ruin the match between the two.
Foto di Angel Chavez da Pixabay